Thursday, April 12, 2012


Questions:
1.     Since the topic is limited to a topic that is related to the book My Year of Meats by Ruth Ozeki I can’t choose a topic that I feel as strongly about as John Trimble suggests. Instead I chose to write about DES, which caused a lot of harm to pregnant women up until it was banned in 1979.
2.     What I chose to narrow the topic down to is why the FDA and the USDA suppressed the results of tests that proved the chemical was harmful. There were tests that proved the chemical was bad as early as 1971, it wasn’t banned until 1979.
4.      
a.     Why did the FDA and the USDA take 8 years to ban the chemical?
b.     Why did the DES have to be added to the meat in the first place?
5.     Thesis: The fact that it took the FDA and the USDA 8 years to ban a chemical known to be extremely harmful is unacceptable and shows that our food industry needs to be watched much more.
#1.       Pre Write Procedure- 
1. Brainstorm
2. Establish argument
3. Find support for my arguments
4. Make an outline
5. Ask some tough questions
5. Begin writing


#3.  I will take all the steps I usually take as well as ask some questions about the weakest part of my essay in order to strengthen it.
#4.
Effective Procedures:
-Brainstorming is always extremely fruitful since it helps you develop your ideas more.
-The questions I asked also helped me come up with stronger arguments
Working Thesis: The fact that it took the FDA and the USDA 8 years to ban a chemical known to be extremely harmful is unacceptable and shows that our food industry needs to be watched much more.              

No comments:

Post a Comment